At this point, people have said everything there is to say about the New England Patriots coming from 25 points down to win Super Bowl LI, their fifth Lombardi Trophy. Therefore, I just wanted to give some of my thoughts on the game and what it means for the future.
- Revenge Complete – Tom Brady was unfairly punished by Roger Goodell for something he did not do, and responded with the one of the best regular seasons and one of the best postseasons of all time. Brady won, Goodell lost, and the world is a better place because of it.
- Better comeback? – The Patriots completed the greatest comeback in Super Bowl history, so a popular question in Boston now is which was better: Super Bowl LI or the 2004 ALCS? I still think I give the edge to the 3-0 comeback against the Yankees, but man that football game was epic.
- Brady/Belichick #5 – Tom Brady has now universally established himself as the greatest QB of all time by breaking the record for Super Bowl wins and Super Bowl MVP’s. Bill Belichick also broke a tie with Chuck Noll by winning a fifth Super Bowl as a head coach, also solidifying him as the greatest coach of all time.
- Boston Titletown – The Patriots championship makes ten overall for Boston pro sports since the Patriots first Super Bowl title in 2001. Boston has not gone more than three years without at least one championship since 2001.
- Three out of Four peat? – The Patriots open as the favorite to win Super Bowl LII in Vegas. A win in Super Bowl LII would mean the Patriots would have won three Super Bowls in four years for the second time.
- Tom Brady turns 40 – Tom Brady will be 40 at the start of the 2017 season and has showed no signs of slowing down. How long will he actually be able to perform at a high level? I think two more years but wouldn’t be surprised if he went beyond that.
- Offseason – Now that the season is officially over, what will happen during the offseason. Will Jimmy Garoppolo get traded? Could Gronk get traded? Will the Patriots give Hightower a big contract? Will Martellus Bennett take less money to stay? Who should the team be looking at in the first round of the 2017 draft?
The Patriots season truly was incredible and winning the Super Bowl this year truly was the most satisfying of all the championships. I’m looking forward to enjoying this offseason as champions and competing for another trophy again next year.